Monday, February 18, 2013

Jupiter Drinks: Big Blue Martini

Over the past year, Lexington has taken a decided turn towards beer. With the advent of The Beer Trappe, West Sixth and then a host of other breweries and beer-centric spots that are open or will be opening, it seems my hometown has devoted its collective attention towards the art of craft beer. For several reasons, these new businesses are a great thing for tourism, our local and state economy and as badges of honor for Lexington to show we support homegrown businesses.
However, the craft beer craze seems to have taken away from what I really prefer: the cocktail. Now, don’t get me wrong, I don’t turn my nose up at beer. As a lover of all potent potables, I’ve tasted the wares of our new craft breweries and can tell you that they are doing an excellent job. But, when on a Friday night, my friends are looking to go out, I don’t want a beer. I want a cocktail.
So, let this serve as the first in a series of posts that will be devoted to drinking my way across Lexington and finding where the really good cocktails are hiding. I know they’re out there.
Craft beer aside, Lexington’s first and true love is the Cats. So, it seems reasonable that one of the best cocktails in town is the Big Blue Martini at the bar that shares its name (though it adds an additional “g” to big). I’ll grant that it’s a hotel bar and not necessarily local, but you can’t beat it for people watching or for consistency. If there’s a convention in town or something going on at Rupp, grab a table at Bigg Blue and watch the chaos unfold. When weather allows, an outdoor table along Broadway is a must with its steady stream of street and sidewalk traffic that never disappoints.
The drink itself may not be exactly Wildcat Blue, but it’s a refreshing, citrus-y delight that’s colored blue from blue curacao (which is just triple sec that’s been colored).


No comments:

Post a Comment