Thursday, February 21, 2013

Jupiter Travels: Dylan's Candy Bar & Pop Rocks Martini

With the Academy Awards coming this Sunday, I started thinking about where I was last year when the annual gala was televised. It actually took me a few minutes to recall that I was in New York City. Having only been to New York City twice in my life, it seems that'd be the kind of thing I'd pretty quickly remember. But, true to my form, it wasn't the Oscars that I remembered, but what I was drinking. And that was something far more memorable.

I'd made a trip to New York with friends and part of our plan on Oscar Sunday was to pay a visit to Dylan's Candy Bar. Dylan's (owned by Ralph Lauren's daughter, who gives it her name) is a three floor candy emporium where every candy you've ever dreamed of is not only on display, but available for purchase. It's really a mulit-colored feast for all senses and is a "must visit" for any trip to New York.


Last year, what interested me most was the actual bar they'd just opened on the top floor serving all kinds of candy based cocktails. Gummi bear vodka? Yep. Strawberry Nerds mojito? Done. Sour Patch Kids margarita? Absolutely! Having found the perfect place to settle in and watch the ceremony, my friends and I grabbed a seat at a giant, circular table filled with gumballs and settled in to watch the red carpet.

With a quick thanks to mass transit, we got to work trying just about every drink on the menu (note it has grown a bit since we were there). Our overwhelming favorite drink was the Pop Rocks martini, a concoction featuring the infamous, explosive candy. Of course, it's syrupy sweet and that's part of the fun. It's a candy based cocktail, not something too high minded. It's also delicious and quite a show when it's served, with candy literally shooting out of the glass.

We didn't get any video of the bartender at Dylan's making it, but have a look at this video down below and my bestie and I will give you a demo of how to make them and how to get your Oscar party poppin'.




No comments:

Post a Comment